Friday, July 13, 2012

Sharp Stylings #48: Andrew Loog Oldham

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

Everyone on Facebook is talkin' about the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' first show. Listen, after enduring celebrity birthdays and celebrity deaths on Facebook, I don't think I can handle anniversaries of shows on there. (I can barely keep up with birthdays and anniversaries of real-life friends!) When a celebrity starts wishing ME happy birthday or happy anniversary on Facebook, than I'll get more excited about wishing him/her one on Facebook!

That said, in honor of the 50th anniversary, let's take a look at a stylish shot of early Rolling Stones manager, Andrew Loog Oldham:

Although I'm not into the general shape of Oldham's jacket, I still find it pretty interesting. For me, the lapels are a tad too wide, especially for a 2-button front. Growing up in the 1980s really turned me off to this look. But why does it work on Oldham? Is it due to the ticket pocket? Is it due to the pattern? Or does Loog just carry it off because of the confident swagger?

The details of the jacket aside, Andrew Loog Oldham just owns this look! The black button-down shirt, unbuttoned on top... that wide belt with the HUGE round buckle... the slim-fitting (but not 'skinny') pants... and a pair of sharp, narrow shoes. Damn!

Again, a great way to carry off a casual, yet swank, look. Think about this image next time you're trying decide on what t-shirt will go better with your jeans, the target t-shirt or the Jam t-shirt.

7 comments:

  1. Please join us at Andrew Loog Oldham's "official" FB page where I have posted this nice tribute to him.

    www.facebook.com/andrewloogoldham

    Ron R. - admin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ron! I think I may have posted about this on FB, but if not, I'll make sure to do it.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite aspects of 'Stoned' (and the thing that annoys most people I know) is the amount of detail in his descriptions of his clothes. In my opinion, he was sharper than most bands around at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If his descriptions are at Charles Dickens-ian levels, count me in!

      Delete
  3. I had the chance to interview ALO for my Dynovoice article that was published in There's That Beat in 2007. He was a class act and it was great talking about his career with the Stones and his friendship with the great Bob Crewe and his love for The Four Seasons. Well a week after the interview I get a call from ALO himself stating he was going to be in The United States for the week flying in from Columbia where he lives and he wanted to meet up! It blew my mind! A week later I met up with him in Los Angeles where he was recording his Sirius show at the time. We drove around LA and we had dinner on Melrose talking about Mods and films and his friend Bob Crewe who he was planning to meet up with. He signed my Stones records including my Poets 45rpm and we bid farewell. ALO is a genuine fellow who sincerely love the music first and foremost. To me the early Stones was always about the vibe that ALO put on the group and that it was great meeting someone I admire greatly. His two autobiographies are must reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonardo, I'm just now getting to this. WOW! Is this article published anywhere online?

      So awesome you got to meet with him. I really need a copy of the Stoned books and plan on getting them very soon.

      What I recently picked up with an autobiography on Bobby Keyes, the Stones' saxman... should be an crazy read, but I want to get more of the Mod stories from Loog!

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to find a belt like that for a while now, but I can't seem to find a searchable name for the style.

    ReplyDelete