Friday, June 8, 2012

Sharp Stylings #43: Lloyd Johnson

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: the Mod thing is the best subculture to grow old within. It's a look that continues to age very well... provided you don't go the parka, badge, and bowling shoes route. The older I've gotten, the less interested I've become in that loud, in-your-face appearance in which M-O-D is literally spelled out somewhere on your clothing. Nah... as I continue to age, I'd much rather work on refining this look I love so much.

And there's some great inspiration out there to learn from. Take, for instance, original Modernist and fashion designer, Lloyd Johnson. Obsessed with clothing since the late '50s, Johnson went on to play roles in the fashion industry of the 1960s, and eventually helped provide outfits for the Punk generation of the 1970s and beyond.

Today, he still wears his Modernist roots on his sleeve. Here he is with Graham Russell at the Lloyd Johnson: The Modern Outfitter exhibit held earlier this year: 
Graham Russell and Lloyd Johnson. (See, Mods and Rockers get along just fine!) Photo courtesy of Mr. Russell.
Let's move in a little closer to appreciate Johnson's professional attention to detail.
Sorry, Graham, for cutting you off, but  I had to zoom in a bit just to show off those details!
First off, check out the beautiful olive green three-piece suit he's wearing. Three-button jacket with moderately thin lapels and a high button stance. And speaking of buttons, look at how great they contrast with the suit. The buttons look to be made of woven leather that not only plays off the green of the suit but also matches well with the red paisley tie which also contrasts well with the suit.

Then there's his dress shirt in what looks to be blue and red stripes with a solid, white collar. The blue is subtle and offers a break in the color scheme, while the red connects with the paisley tie and jacket buttons.

The collar itself is in a nice club collar style held together with a sharp collar pin. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the club collar, especially in the tab style. Button-down club collars are pretty sharp as well, but I've had a harder time finding them. And the final touch to Johnson's look? That gold fob chain hanging on his waistcoat.

This entire look hits all the right notes, especially for the older, dapper gentleman. In this photo, Lloyd Johnson let's us all know that aging gracefully is very achievable with a Mod(ernist) aesthetic. And this is the path I've chose to follow. If I can look half as sharp as this by the time I reach his age, I'd be very happy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a class act!

    Grow old with Mod dignity!

    Leonardo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leonardo, he really is! And a super nice man in email correspondence. He still has such a great love for fashions and clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabulous Lux Interior presides over us all! I've got a date and I won't wait

    ReplyDelete