Friday, May 4, 2012

Sharp Stylings #38: Keith Richards

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.

Friends, sorry about lack of posting this week. Hard time recuperating from a weekend in Palm Springs and a weekday DJ gig. (I don't bounce back as easily from fun nights as I used to!)

But enough of my complaining about my rickity ol' bones. Let's move on to some slick stylin'!

Found this photo from a recent Mirror article. Now before I move forward, the article pegs this as a photo from 1962, which I would have to dispute. The hair, lapels, and tie width and pattern seem way past 1962! But that's neither here nor there. What's important is that photographer Philip Townsend captured a fantastic shot here. (And please, please, please, visit Townend's site for more amazing 1960s shots and a chance to purchase prints!)

I know, I know, Richards was a good lookin' guy. Get over it already and let's move on to his hip threads. I'm sure many Mod types veer away from wide, paisley ties, seeing that it's a later 1960s look. But this tie is right up my alley, personally. In fact, I have a few similar styles like this: wide and colorful. Trust me, they look great contrasted up against a dark jacket!

And speaking of jackets, man, that is some wild detailing going on there! First off, the jacket's button stance is nice and high, the way I like it. Secondly, the lapels are thin with a high notch. Actually, they could be peaked lapels... hard to tell, though, in this photo. And third, that bric-a-brac edging along the lapel! Now where have I seen this look before?  Hmm... oh yeah, that's right:
Ronnie Lane rockin' the bric-a-brac!
Sure, this is probably a hard look to pull off these days on a regular daily basis. But, it could work well for evening club attire!

That's it for today... have a stylish weekend!


1 comment:

  1. I went to a Philip Townsend expo in 2009 called "Sorry You Missed The Sixties" at a little gallery right off Carnaby Street. There were stunning photos of all our favorite celebrities. But I was most mesmerized by one that had a couple of Mods in parkas standing on a street corner. One had a huge Union Jack on his back.

    You can see the photo in question here:

    http://freestylefind.blogspot.ca/2011/10/philip-townsend-60-street-scene.html

    ReplyDelete