Friday, April 6, 2012

Sharp Stylings #34: Gossip Guy

We can learn so much from yesterday’s fashion icons.  And living in a post-Mad Men world means we can even enjoy aspects of current male fashions! Every Friday, I’d like to start your weekend off right with a little style inspiration from either then or now. Hopefully, my fellow Mod enthusiasts will find the whole or some detail of the whole to appreciate and maybe even adopt.
 
[WARNING: THE SUBJECT OF TODAY'S POST IS NOT A MOD. HE DOES NOT COLLECT SOUL RECORDS. HE DOES NOT RIDE A SCOOTER (I DON'T THINK). HE DOES NOT ATTEND PAUL WELLER SHOWS. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.]

Waitaminute... what kinda mod male bashes a sixties band and then praises a Gossip Girl character? An objective one, my friends! But don't get any wild ideas here.

In all honesty, I've never seen an episode of Gossip Girl and I don't even really know what the show is about. And, really, can any late-night soap be as good as Melrose Place was? Heck, I don't even know if Chuck Bass (the guy below) is the actor's name or the character's name, and I ain't about to spend time googling it to find out. The only reason why I'm aware of him is because of a random google search and the fact that I recognized him from all the jokes The Soup has made at his expense.

However, I will say that, dang! Dude sure knows how to kick out the style!


So what's this guy's story on the show that would make him want to dress this way? Is he the the son of a tailor? Does he work in the fashion industry?  Aw heck, I don't care. Let's just get into his gear.


  1. Earthtones done right! That jacket is in one of my favorite colors... and maybe that's because I have a similarly-colored jacket. But look at how well it plays off his rust-colored trousers. Awesome color play going on here. And you know another thing? Although I'm not a fan of the 2-button jacket, in general, the lapels are so razor-sharp here, I'd probably wear this one. (And dig them patch pockets and side-vents too!)
  2. Continuing with the color scheme, this guy is wearing the perfect shoes for this outfit. Tan, narrow, slightly pointed... all kinds of good going on with those. 
  3. Chuck Bass is skipping out on the tie and getting into ascot/scarf territory. I love how this keeps you looking dressy, yet still casual. There's a relaxed feel that ascot lends to the whole look.
  4. And the final touch: a patterned pocket square that plays off the colors of the trousers, bringing the entire Autumn-themed ensemble together.
I tell you, this could be the dumbest show on television or the best, I don't know. But this character's wardrobe team sure knows how to sharpen up the screen. I'd sport this look in a hearbeat... minus the well-rehearsed scowl.

That's it for today.... HAVE A STYLISH WEEKEND!

1 comment: